Introduction to Depth Psychology
Learn the History and Development of Depth Psychology
From Tribal Healing Practices to Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung.
A nine week college level course!
Includes one free class plus eight full modules with resources and further learning opportunities available through our online learning platform. Successfully complete all of the assignments in the online learning platform and earn a certificate of completion!
Attendees may also simply audit the course, without completing assignments for credit.
Get a solid understanding of the history, background, and development of depth psychology. This course is an essential introduction to depth psychology designed to prepare serious students for further studies in Jungian psychology. This nine week course begins with one free introductory class, followed by eight modules that introduce you to the different stages in the development of depth psychology, from early shamanic practices, to the discovery of the unconscious by modern thinkers, to hypnotism and early psychiatry. The purpose of the course is to provide an introductory preparation for further courses in Jungian psychology offered through the Depth Psychology Alliance. Much of this introductory course will focus on the ideas of important depth psychology theorists such as Franz Mesmer and Mesmerism, Jean Charcot, Pierre Janet, Sigmund Freud, Alfred Adler, Melanie Klein, D.W. Winnicott, John Bowlby, Heinz Kohut, and Carl Jung . Each weekly meeting will include a presentation and explanation of some aspect of the development of depth psychology, a discussion and question/answer session, as well as a wealth of resources for further study available through our online learning platform. Those participants who successfully complete the assignments in the online learning platform will receive a certificate of completion which may be used as credit toward a future certification program. Don’t miss this opportunity to get a solid grounding in depth psychological history, development and theory from Charcot to C.G. Jung. This course is an essential introduction to depth psychology designed to prepare serious students for further studies in Jungian psychology.
Participants will take part in nine weekly classes
Start time for each event is 1pm PST (4pm EST) 90 min
1. Free! – Introduction: Overview of depth psychology psychology: Free! – Saturday, Feb 16th
2. Module 1: The ancestral roots of depth psychology – Saturday, Feb 23
3. Module 2: Discovering the unconscious: Franz Mesmer and Jean Charcot – Saturday, Mar 2
4. Module 3: The development of psychodynamic psychology: Eugen Bleuler, Pierre Janet, and William James – Saturday, Mar 9
5. Module 4: Sigmund Freud and Psychoanalysis – Saturday, Mar 16
6. Module 5: Psychoanalysis after Freud: Alfred Adler, Anna Freud, and Melanie Klein – Saturday, Mar 23
7. Module 6: Object Relations: W. R. D. Fairbairn, and D. W. Winnicott – Saturday, Mar 30
8. Module 7: Attachment Theory and Self Psychology: John Bowlby and Heinz Kohut – Saturday, Apr 6
9. Module 8: C.G. Jung, Evolutionary Psychology, and Synthesis – Saturday, Apr 13
About Your Instructor
James R. Newell, PhD
James Newell is an educator, counselor, personal coach, professional musician, and the director of the Depth Psychology Alliance. James earned his master’s degree in Pastoral Counseling and Theology from Vanderbilt University Divinity School, with a focus on Jungian psychology. He earned his doctorate in History of Religions from the Vanderbilt University Graduate School of Religion. James teaches online courses in world religions for Central Michigan University, Excelsior College, Thomas Edison State University, and other schools. For the past several years he has been developing a certification program in depth psychology offered through the Depth Psychology Alliance.
Pricing (early sign-up is by February 19, 2019):
$219.00 early sign-up
$249.00 early sign-up