Join the "Depth Discussion" about Hillman's Notion of Eros & Psych — July 11, 2013

Please chime in with your thoughts!

Tags: consulting room, eros, hillman, psyche, psychological creativity

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Judith! How beautifully written...:-).. I love the play of words as I have recently started this experience myself... The discovery of Eros & Creativity is thrilling... particularly for a "good girl" raised in the catholic tradition.

I've been enjoying this discussion on Psyche and Eros, both from the perspective of being raised as a good Catholic girl (a background mentioned by one of the participants) and in the the Winter of  Life

As Jupiter transits the Nadir of my horoscope, the Alpha and Omega point where the Soul comes in and begins the process of growth in Consciousnessness,  circling back around every 12 years, there's a synchronicity present in the Outer World: the 50th class reunion at the Catholic undergraduate college in my natal place this June. With Jupiter as in Leo (Individuation Sign) it should be fascinating to see the directions their journeys have taken. 

For everyone, as Jupiter transits Leo until mid -August, bringing attention and creative focus to the House with Leo on the cusp, it can be challenging to keep the balance with Other and Eros in the House oppose Leo ( the Aquarius House)  Focusing on Individual creativity usually requires alone time, which the partner may not see as a Good Thing. Or a group (symbolically, Aquarius) where we volunteer may feel we're shirking our duty.  

At the moment, I'm reading Leaving Before the Rains Come, by South African author Alexandra Fuller, about her marriage to an adventurous American, an uneasy balance for her to maintain, even before the crash of 2008 which constellated many of their problems at once.

She quotes Jung: "thoroughly unprepared, we take the step into the afternoon of life  Worse still, we take this step with the false presupposition that our truths and our ideals will serve us as hitherto. But we cannot live in the afternoon of life according to the program of life's morning, for what was great in the morning will be little at evening and what in the morning was true, at evening will have become a lie."

I'm wondering if anyone knows the source for this in Jung's works?

Kathleen Burt

Jungian astrologer, yoga teacher

Kathleen, attributes this quote to The Structure and Dynamics of the Psyche, vol. 8 CW.

From their article:

"According to Carl Jung, what prevents people from becoming autonomous, fulfilled and ultimately happy is their refusal to open themselves to experiences that are new and unfamiliar, and thus potentially threatening to their sense of self. When we have passed from childhood to adolescence to adulthood, nature abandons us to the world of consciousness, which is to say, to culture. We are thus forced to say "goodbye to childlike unconsciousness and trust in nature." The question then arises, "What kind of person shall I then become in this strange new world?" Each of us must confront it.

Thank you Kathleen for mentioning the book by Alexandra Fuller. Since I very recently came out of a similar experience, it will help me put certain things in perspective.:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Subscribe to the "Latest Activity" RSS feed for Depth Psychology Alliance

© 2015   Created by Bonnie Bright.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlec50e280af904661a.html