My guest today is Dr. Jonathan Katz and we’ll be discussing how he brings everything from the Chinese Martial Arts to Jungian Psychology, Transpersonal  Psychology, Rogerian psychotherapy and more to bear on creativity.

Jonathan Katz, Ph.D. is a Chicago-based Clinical Psychologist, who specializes in working from a mind-body approach, in combination with Jungian/Archetypal and transpersonal psychology. For over 20 years, he has been a student and teacher of traditional Chinese martial arts, meditation, and Qigong--an Inner Door student of Sifu Woo Ching practicing the White Crane System, which has its origins in the Buddhist monastic traditions of China and Tibet. In addition, he has been a musician--both performing and recording, an actor, director, producer, and writer. Jon specializes in working with creative artists, to help enhance creativity and performance, and with anyone who wants to bring more creativity and meaning into their lives and work.

He is a therapist with the Jung Center in Evanston, Illinois, and gives workshops and classes in "A Soul Centered Approach to Creativity", which incorporates an embodied, multi-arts, approach. In addition, he gives workshops on "Qigong and Psychotherapy", integrating Eastern meditative and energy practices, with Western psychotherapy.

He is currently at work on a book about his approach to creativity.

Click here to listen to interview!

David Van Nuys PhD

Creator/Host of Shrink Rap Radio

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What if I’ve been thinking and behaving in a way similar to the one in your interview for decades and in those moments of inspiration I have experienced something that looks like a dead end? I mean about this one (my comments below the text):  http://www.depthpsychologyalliance.com/forum/topics/a-multi-causal-.... What am I supposed to do with an idea that I feel like a foreign body and no one neither agrees nor disagrees? Why would I follow or try to induce bursts of “creativity” if they add more confusion and mess to my already confusing life?

A multi-causal approach to synchronicity
    A Multi-causal Approach to Synchronicity is the title of an online article written by Zachary Stinson, in which he argues against Jung, Robert Aziz…
    • I'm not sure... Perhaps by getting more creative around getting people to consider your ideas about Synchronicity?  There are lots of stories about people who had a great idea or theory that was ignored or rejected all over the place before they finally had success.  This has especially been the case with a number of very successful books.  And, of course, getting a breakthrough idea is only step 1.  Step 2 is execution and that's where most ideas fail.  I sympathize with your frustration.

David

• Yes, but if I have multiple sources (for instance this http://www.plato.rs/knjiga-Carigradski-drum-44713 and this http://www.korisnaknjiga.com/putnici-naslov-3739 - Google Translate would reveal that both of them are about traveling through time; both authors are ignoring me) claiming that someone very similar to me is about to achieve something (there are even very precise descriptions of that "something"), then it's not something that I can ignore, especially if I am easily attracted to all kinds of weirdness (I've had two books with "mysteries of the world" in the title since I was eight years old). And, when my friend says at the early stage of our friendship: "I had visions when I was ten years old...", then I'm not seeing things. It's more like everyone else seeing the same things that don't exist.

No one can prepare for this kind of stuff.

This reply was deleted.